Pages

Saturday 14 February 2015

Why you don't need an Elevator Pitch

The Elevator Pitch. We discussed that in a lecture in late November and our lecturer gave us the "homework" to create an elevator pitch for ourselves. 

For those who don't know what that is: It is a short speech of ca. 20-30 seconds telling everything what a potential client/employer/whosoever needs to know about you. A good elevator pitch makes people keep you in mind. It helps networking. And getting jobs.

Source: http://freelancefolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/elevator.jpg
Well, the elevator pitch has been on my "blogposts-to-write" list for way to long now. I have been thinking about it from time to time, but nothing really came to my mind.

So I wrote a post about it last week. When I was about half way through creating my elevator pitch, I stumbled upon this website. After watching her video, I read through my pitch and noticed that she was quite right:

"An elevator pitch sounds artificial. A set of sentences that feel awkward to say, the other person feels awkward because they don't represent who you truly are."

Damn it, now I've put so much work into that blog post and my pitch to notice that it is crap (ok, maybe the instruction how to create an elevator pitch is alright). But then, maybe she just hasn't heard a good elevator pitch in her life? Apparently Dr. Laura Nelson is quite experienced in high performance coaching (and she's even a Neuroscientist...Can't really argue with that, can I?) and to be honest, what she says does make sense: It is important to be able to explain what you do briefly and precisely.

So she mentions a two step process:

1. Talk about your passion
2. Keep talking.

The second step is basically to "practice", but also to reflect on your passion. This in turn will lead to you being able to frame it better; your message will get clearer and clearer and people will more likely remember because you are authentic.

Eventually, it is probably some kind of elevator pitch, but it is not as stiff and artificial like a "real" elevator pitch. Also, it is really important to be aware that the pitch (let's call it like that for the moment) changes with every person you talk to. 

So, think about what you love (from a professional point of view - it would be awkward if you were talking about getting wasted every weekend...) and next time we'll meet, I will tell you about my passion. 

2 comments:

  1. *smirk* and THAT is the ideal elevator pitch. Talk about your passion and keep talking so that the other person keeps wanting to hear more. That's always been my version of an elevator pitch and it's worked fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Catherine. Yes, it is definitely much better than some sentences learned by heart... :)

    ReplyDelete